The Washington Post

Man killed in Oxon Hill fire identified

Fire officials on Monday identified the Oxon Hill man killed Sunday in a fire that was sparked when he tried to pour kerosene into a space heater as 59-year-old Douglas Williams.

Williams was taken to the Medstar Washington Hospital Burn Center after the 5:15 a.m. fire, which burned the living room of Williams’s home in the 5100 block of Boulder Drive, authorities said.

He was pronounced dead there some time later, authorities said.

Fire officials had said previously that the kerosene was ignited by the lighted space heater, though it remains unclear whether vapors caused the fire or whether there was a spill. They cautioned against filling space heaters that have already been lighted indoors.

Matt Zapotosky covers the federal district courthouse in Alexandria, where he tries to break news from a windowless office in which he is not allowed to bring his cell phone.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Don’t be ‘that’ sports parent | On Parenting
Miss Manners: The technology's changed, but the rules are the same
A flood of refugees from Syria but only a trickle to America
Play Videos
John Lewis, 'Marv the Barb' and the politics of barber shops
Kids share best advice from mom
Using Fitbit to help kids lose weight
Play Videos
This man's job is binge-watching for Netflix
Transgender swimmer now on Harvard men's team
Portland's most important meal of the day
Play Videos
5 ways to raise girls to be leaders
How much can one woman eat?
The signature drink of New Orleans