wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 06:03 PM ET, 11/08/2011

Man sentenced to 5-years for threatening Montgomery officials

A 49-year-old man who was convicted of threatening public officials in Montgomery County was sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison, Prince George’s State’s Attorney Angela D. Alsobrooks said.

Circuit Court Judge Dwight D. Jackson imposed the sentence on Michael Moment, 49, Alsobrooks said. Moment had been convicted of threatening public officials in Montgomery County and threatening an officer of the court, authorities said.

Moment was upset over the outcome of a child custody case in Montgomery County, prosecutors said.

According to prosecutors, in April, 2010, Moment sent threatening letters to Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy; Loretta Knight, clerk of the Circuit Court in Montgomery; two Montgomery judges, Thomas Craven and John Debelius, and the daughter of Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett.

The letters claimed that “contracts” had been placed on the lives of the public officials and their relatives if Moment’s son was harmed, prosecutors said.

The case was assigned to Prince George’s County to avoid a conflict of interest with Montgomery County judges and prosecutors, officials said. Prince George’s County prosecutors Sam Danai and Renee Joy handled the case.

By  |  06:03 PM ET, 11/08/2011

Next:

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company