Md. fire may have been caused by birthday cake fireworks

FINKSBURG, Md. — Officials say a small explosion in a home in Finksburg that injured three people may have been caused when fireworks were inadvertently mixed in with birthday candles.

A 13-year-old girl and her parents were injured in Tuesday night’s explosion. They were taken to local hospitals in good condition.

Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Allen Gosnell tells the Carroll County Times that there was a birthday and a cake and afterward there was a low-level explosion in the dining room.

Gosnell says officials suspect someone inadvertently put low-order fireworks in with birthday candles, and the unsuspecting family lit the candles, causing the explosion.

The incident is under investigation.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters