Most Read: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 07:14 PM ET, 11/29/2011

Mistakenly released murder suspect taken back into custody

The murder suspect mistakenly released from jail on a $75,000 bond this month was taken back into police custody Tuesday after he showed up — voluntarily — at his bond hearing, a Prince George’s County police spokesman said.

Cpl. Evan Baxter, a Prince George’s County police spokesman, said that 24-year-old Frederick L. Scott came Tuesday to a bond review hearing, and officials served him with the warrant that had been outstanding for his arrest. Earlier this month, Scott was mistakenly freed after courthouse clerks inadvertently put another man’s paperwork in his file, effectively allowing him to the post that man’s $75,000 bond.

Scott had been arrested in May and charged with first-degree murder and other counts stemming from the March 4 shooting of Phillip Watson, 30, of the District. According to prosecutors and police charging documents, Watson and a man with Scott were involved in a fight that spilled outside of the Surf Club on Kenilworth Avenue in Hyattsville. Authorities allege that Scott drove a car as the other man shot Watson.

A grand jury indicted Scott in July — then re-indicted him in August — on murder and other charges. He had been held on a no-bond status, which prosecutors assumed carried over from one indictment to the other, said Angela Alsobrooks, the state’s attorney for Prince George’s County.

At some point, though, the paperwork error made it appear that the court had set Scott’s bond at $75,000. That bond was supposed to be assigned to Carlton Malik Clark, a man charged in a drug case, according to court records and officials. Scott posted that bond.

Baxter said a judge issued a new $500,000 bond on Tuesday, though he was unsure as of about 5 p.m. if Scott had been able to post that.

By  |  07:14 PM ET, 11/29/2011

Categories:  Matt Zapotosky, Pr. George's, Homicide

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company