The Washington Post

Pr. George’s man dies after escaping house fire

A 65-year-old Lewisville man escaped his burning house seemingly uninjured Sunday night only to die a short while later, a Prince George’s County fire spokesman said.

Firefighters were called to the two-story duplex in the 6600 block of 24th Place just after 10 p.m. and found a fire in the basement and the man and his wife in the front yard, said spokesman Mark Brady.

The man was conscious and talking at the time, although he was experiencing respiratory distress and complained of chest pains, Brady said. The man was also concerned about his pets – three cats and three dogs – that remained in the house.

One dog had been located when the man suffered cardiac arrest as paramedics prepared to take him to the hospital, Brady said. The man, who is not being identified, was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the emergency room.

The man’s wife was not injured and received assistance with temporary housing arrangements. All but one cat have since been found.  

Theresa Vargas is a reporter for the Post’s local enterprise team.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters