Most Read: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 07:09 PM ET, 01/24/2013

Pr. George’s officer acquitted of assault, misconduct charges

A Prince George’s County police officer indicted last year on assault and misconduct in office charges after he was accused of attacking a 13-year-old boy during a foot chase was acquitted of all the charges against him Thursday, authorities said.

Rickie Adey had been accused of pursuing — then pulling down from a fence and punching — the teen in August 2011 while he was responding to a report of gunfire in the 6900 block of Walker Mill Road in Capitol Heights, police have said.

He was acquitted after a bench trial, meaning there was no jury, in front of Prince George’s County Circuit Court Judge Michael Pearson, said John Erzen, a spokesman for the Prince George’s State’s attorney’s office.

Adey was suspended after his indictment last year, then assigned to paid administrative duties. Generally, police wait until the criminal case against him is over before proceeding with administrative sanctions.

Adey also faced a $5 million civil suit from the teen’s family. That suit is ongoing in federal court in Greenbelt, said Jimmy Bell, the family’s attorney.

By  |  07:09 PM ET, 01/24/2013

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company