wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2

Most Read: Local

Crime Scene
Posted at 12:42 PM ET, 09/06/2012

D.C. taxi holdup suspect arrested again

A District man who had been arrested and then released without being charged in connection with the robbery of a taxi driver in Northeast Washington last week has been arrested again in another holdup involving a cab, according to District police and prosecutors.

Miguel Demonis, 19, was arrested late Wednesday night, according to police.

Documents filed Thursday in D.C. Superior Court indicate that Demonis lives in the same Northeast community police say was hit by a spate of taxi holdups last week. They also provide the first details of one of the robberies, which put taxi drivers working the Rhode Island Avenue corridor on edge and had police swarming the neighborhood.

Authorities first thought they had a break last week when they said officers arrested Demonis and a 15-year-old accomplice in connection with the robbery of a taxi driver at Fourth and Evarts streets NE. Authorities said Demonis matched a description given by the victim and was caught after a brief chase.

But the U.S. Attorney’s Office declined to file charges against Demonis and he was set free. After he was was released, police over the Labor Day weekend obtained an arrest warrant charging him with a different taxi robbery in Northeast, also from last week.

In that case, detailed in the court documents, police said that on Aug. 29, a driver for Georgetown Cab told investigators he had been robbed by a passenger at the Rhode Island Avenue Shopping Center in the 600 block of Rhode Island Ave.

The victim told police that the robber asked him, “How much?” but, instead of handing over money, passed a note announcing a holdup. When the driver tried to turn toward the back seat, the documents read, he was told, “Don’t try to look at my face. I have a gun and I’ll shoot you. Give me your money and cell phone.”

When the driver said he didn’t have any money, police said the robber ordered him to turn out his pockets. He did. Police said the robber ran away with the driver’s cell phone and Bluetooth earpiece.

In court documents, police said that the suspect in the robbery at the shopping center is also the suspect in the robbery that prosecutors declined to pursue. D.C. police say all the robberies in Edgewood remain under investigation.

Demonis failed to show Wednesday in D.C. Superior Court, where he was to be sentenced for a single misdemeanor count of possessing a pellet gun. He had pleaded guilty to the charge, which police said stemmed from a robbery of a taxi driver in late 2011.

Judge Elizabeth Wingo then issued a second warrant for his arrest.

Sentencing for the pellet gun offense and a hearing in the robbery case are both scheduled for Friday, according to online court records.

This item has been updated.

By  |  12:42 PM ET, 09/06/2012

Next:

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company