An 18-year-old Rockville man was convicted of first-degree assault and a handgun charge Tuesday in connection with a May shooting that injured two people at the Rockville Metro station.
Prosecutors said Tavares Harris provided the gun used by another teen, Kevin Nguyen, in the shooting.
A Montgomery County jury deadlocked on the most serious charges facing Harris, including attempted first-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.
Montgomery State’s Attorney John McCarthy said in a statement the verdict “sends a strong message that gun violence will not be tolerated” and that there are consequences for the “misguided glorification of the gangster lifestyle.”
One of the shooting victims had been in an ongoing dispute with the two teens, and the other was a bystander.
Ramon V. Korionoff, public affairs director for the State’s Attorney’s office, said Harris faces up to 45 years in prison, and called the jury’s decision “appropriate and just.” He said prosecutors have not yet decided whether to retry Harris on the other counts.
“I would not characterize it as a disappointment,” Korionoff said of the verdict.
David Martella, one of Harris’s attorneys, said the result could have been significantly worse for his client, but that he still faces serious punishment, including a mandatory sentence of at least five years on the charge of using a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence.
“Any time you have a trial and you can avoid the potential of a life sentence for your client, we call that a victory,” Martella said. Still, he added, “he’s definitely facing a minimum of five years at a state prison, and that will be devastating for this young man.”