The Washington Post

Tots stung by bees during fire drill

Update, Sept. 11: All of the toddlers who were stung by wasps Monday morning during a fire drill at Temple Emmanuel Early Childhood Center are doing well, according to the Montgomery County fire department.

The insects were initially reported to be bees by rescue workers. But the school confirmed Tuesday that they were yellow jackets, not bees, after an inquiry by a member of the Montgomery County beekeepers Association.

Rescue workers checked health records for each child, and used a mobile ambulance bus to transport all of the children together with staff members to a local hospital, officials said.

Original item, Sept. 10: A dozen 2-year-olds were stung by bees while they were outside Temple Emmanuel Early Childhood Center for a fire drill, according to a tweet by a Montgomery County fire official.

The children had minor injuries and were taken to a local hospital, according to the tweet.

It happened around 11:15 a.m. outside the center, 10101 Connecticut Ave. in Kensington.


Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments
Most Read


Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Don’t be ‘that’ sports parent | On Parenting
Miss Manners: The technology's changed, but the rules are the same
A flood of refugees from Syria but only a trickle to America
Play Videos
John Lewis, 'Marv the Barb' and the politics of barber shops
Kids share best advice from mom
Using Fitbit to help kids lose weight
Play Videos
This man's job is binge-watching for Netflix
Transgender swimmer now on Harvard men's team
Portland's most important meal of the day
Play Videos
5 ways to raise girls to be leaders
How much can one woman eat?
The signature drink of New Orleans