If you’re looking for a DCPS preschool or prekindergarten seat, or a spot in a school outside your neighborhood, lottery season has started. Similar to last year, no paper applications will be accepted — everyone must go to the DCPS Web site here and access the Preschool/Pre-K/Out-of-Boundary application.
Between now and Feb. 27, families can apply to a maximum of six schools. Those applying for preschool or pre-K must do so online, even if they are seeking space in their in-boundary school. If you have questions about the application, you can call the DCPS Critical Response Team at 202-478-5738. There’s no rush, because there’s no advantage to signing on early, school officials said.
Families are encouraged to visit the school profiles section of the DCPS site, pick a school and click either the “Overview” or “Scorecard” tabs. You might also want to check out the D.C.School Chooser.
DCPS has five information sessions scheduled to help navigate the lottery process. They are as follows:
· Jan. 31 from 6-8 p.m. at Patterson Elementary School (4399 South Capitol Terrace SW);
· An Online Live Chat on Feb. 6 from 2-3 p.m.;
· Feb. 11 from 1-3 p.m. at the Dorothy I. Height/Benning D.C. Public Library (3935 Benning Road NE);
· Feb. 15 from 6-8 p.m. at Powell Elementary School (1350 Upshur St. NW); and
· Feb. 20 from 6-8 p.m. at Wheatley Education Campus (1299 Neal St. NE).