High school seniors who were shut out of the D.C. National College Fair when it was cut short by fighting last month will get another chance to meet college and university representatives.
But they’ll have to go to Baltimore to do it.
The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC), which co-sponsored the event with OSSE, said it has no plans to re-schedule the D.C. fair, which was marred by fighting at the Convention Center on Oct. 18. Officials ended the morning session early and cancelled the evening program, depriving an estimated 2,000 students of the chance to speak with school officials and get advice on matters such as financial aid.
Instead, said NACAC communications director Shanda Ivory, the organization has contacted D.C. high school counselors and asked them to encourage students to attend the evening session of its Baltimore National College Fair next Monday, Nov. 7, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Baltimore Convention Center.
OSSE was not pleased with the decision by Events DC, which operates the D.C.Convention Center to pull the plug on the evening session. There were no arrests or injuries reported by police. OSSE spokesman Marc Caposino described the cancellation as “an overreaction” and “an enormous disservice to kids and parents.”
Chinyere Hubbard, vice president for communications and marketing for the Events DC, pushed back on reports that it cancelled the evening segment because of a noise complaint from LeadingAge, a senior citizens group also using the center that day. Hubbard said it was Events DC alone that made the decision, solely on the basis of safety and concerns that students who were fighting earlier in the day might return.
“It was strictly a safety issue,” Hubbard said.