An early sign that LaRon Landry’s Redskins tenure might end with bad feelings came last week, when the team signed free agent safety Brandon Meriweather. Not long after, Landry retweeted a comment from one of his followers that went like this:
[bleep] Meriwether I rather have @MrLandry30
Now, retweets do not necessarily imply endorsement. Maybe Landry was doing this to ironically point out that his followers don’t even know how to spell Meriweather’s last name. Maybe he was subtly marveling at the loyalty fans still feel toward players in a business that has seemed to crush all loyalty. Maybe he hit the wrong button.
But whatever. The team signed a safety and a potential new teammate, and Landry retweeted a comment cursing that man out.
Then this week came, and Landry signed with the Jets, and a few of his followers expressed dismay, and Landry retweeted their thoughts. And they weren’t kind to the Redskins. A sampling from his feed:
* [Landry] left my Skins for the Jets cause they weren’t smart enough to keep him!.... they just might regret it smh
* As a Redskins fan, [Landry] stepped up and helped us cope when we lost Sean. Now we lost him too...our team management makes me sick!
* i completely agree i am a skins fan for life but there maniging sucks
* we’ll always love you in DC . The management don’t know what they doing
* that’s what I’m talking bout homie big up to LL. Welcome to NY homie lets do the damn thing skins thank you for being stupid!!!!
* Redskins management was STUPID to let you go. Miracles happen and your foot would have healed. SMFH. I’m a Jets fan now. J-E-T-S