We all dealt with the historical oddity that was the Redskins sweeping the eventual Super Bowl champion in our own ways. Some Redskins fans shook their heads in disgust. Some took comfort. Some cringed at an NFC East rival winning the whole thing yet again. Some just drank more cheap American beer.
And some — including former D.C. mayor and current council member Marion Barry Jr. — decided to hop on Twitter and start throwing elbows at the unfairness of it all, at the past 20 years of football misery, and at Dan Snyder.
His strongest shot — captured above — is notable for both its simplicity and his use of “SYNDER,” which some message board posters used to deliberately employ when referring to the Redskins owner. But that was far from the only blow. More from Barry, with a few tweaks to his punctuation added:
* You know, the Redskins suck. I’m tired of watching everyone else in the Superbowl. Aint been right since they left DC.
* Money can’t buy love. It’s time for our team to come home where they belong.
* Time to bring some pride back to this city. Remember the energy when Doug Williams won the Superbowl? We LOVED our team & they loved us back.
* Snyder’s making so much $$, he won’t do what is right. Bring our team HOME & put HEART into the game.
* I LOVE THE SKINS! But they should come home. smh
* Good night DC. There’s always next season for us. If we beat the Giants, it’s in us to take it all the way next time.
* I do LOVE the Skins, but wish they never left DC & get back to winning.