The Nats home opener is this afternoon and the team is off to one of the best starts in its history. There are new foods to try, the seats are clean and Teddy has yet to suffer his first of many losses to the other Racing Presidents.
It’s all so shiny and new.
If you’re heading down to the stadium today, there’s a few things you should know.
* The gates open at 10:30 today if you’re excited and want to get there early.
* The first 20,000 fans get a fun opening day hat.
* First Pitch thrown by J.R. Martinez, U.S. Army veteran and winner of the last season of “Dancing With the Stars.”
And of course there will be the usual fanfare of balloons and music and general merriment. It will be sunny but cool, so dress accordingly. Dan will be hanging out at the stadium today, so if you see him, buy him a churro.
BECAUSE YOU DON’T READ THE PAPER...
* At some point, Wizards Coach Randy Wittman fell in love with coaching. Fortunately it was before this season.
* The Caps are considered underdogs in this first round of the playoffs, which may be a good thing.
* Despite a player exodus, Maryland has a lot of players coming back this season on defense. So there’s that.
* Jon Gruden approves of the possible Redskins-Robert Griffin III relationship. Well, thank goodness for that.
* Drew Storen had a bone chip removed from his right elbow. We may not see him until July.
TWEET OF THE NIGHT
He’ll be watching the game with the rest of us...
Excited to be headin back to DC finally! Also looking forward to home opener at Nats Park tomorrow!— Stephen Strasburg (@stras37) April 11, 2012
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT
Nationals Manager Davey Johnson on letting Stephen Strasburg work himself out of a jam.
“I’d have probably had to strangle him to get a hold of the ball to get it out of his hand. I didn’t want to fight him on the mound.”
PHOTO OF THE DAY
WHAT TO WATCH TODAY
Nats home opener is at 1pm on MASN. The Caps coverage starts at 7:30 on CSN. Playoffs! All TV/Radio listings are here.
THINGS WE CELEBRATE
It’s National Grilled Cheese Day.Our Going Out Guide has your list of the best grilled cheeses in the city if you’re in a celebrating mood.
FUN MARKETING PLOY OF THE DAY
We need one of these buttons in the newsroom.