Seems to me the conventional wisdom is that Robert Griffin III doesn’t want to be a running quarterback, and Redskins brass doesn’t want him to be a running quarterback, and Redskins fans don’t want him to be a running quarterback.
Peter King’s SI.com dispatch from Skins camp, though, suggested that Griffin will be running. Among his thoughts:
* “RGIII’s looking very much like a runner.”
* “I talked to one influential Redskin source here, who said, basically, that Griffin ran with abandon for the past two years and didn’t get hurt.”
* “Just my gut feeling, but it sounds like the Redskins don’t want Griffin sitting in the pocket behind such a shaky line — and don’t want him to completely change the way he played in college.”
* “Griffin looked great running in this practice.”
* “Memo to EvoShield: The world’s watching. If Griffin runs 100 or so times this year and stays upright, we’re all buying your stock.”
Of course, King’s trip across the country — which is done for a reputable sports media organization — is actually sponsored by EvoShield, the company that makes RGIII’s rib protectors. So maybe this whole thing was just a gag to gin up some business.
BECAUSE YOU DON’T READ THE PAPER...
The Nats got slapped down by Madison Bumgarner.
Boz says the Strasburg Shutdown debate shows that “the Nats are an organization with enormous self-confidence and, when necessary, defiant indifference.”
James Wagner breaks down the MASN dispute. The Nats want between $100 million and $120 million a year. MASN is offering $34 million.
Can Brian Orakpo reach elite status?
Freshman Perry Hills has the edge to become Maryland’s No. 2 quarterback.
TWEET OF THE NIGHT
Adam Carriker, with a modest proposal.
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT
Redskins punter Sav Rocca, about his spot on Maxim’s 20 NFL tough guys list.
“They’re probably thinking heavy means strong.”
PHOTO OF THE DAY
WHAT TO WATCH TODAY
The Nats are in San Francisco at 3:30 on MASN2. The Orioles host Boston at 7 on MASN. The U.S. men’s national team is in Mexico at 7:30 on ESPN2 All TV/Radio listings are here.
Virginia Tech guard David Wang says he was ranked 35th in the world in Call of Duty last season.
F.P. Santangelo’s amazing telestrator adventures.
Ryan Kerrigan to Redskins fans: “There is no other team I would rather have played for last season and you fans are a major part of that reason.”
Stephen Bowen’s new facemask is bizarre.
WELCOME TO BEER WEEK, I
Bog pal J.P. Finlay went out to a D.C. Beer Week event, and was treated to a deep-fried bacon-wrapped peanut butter cup.
WELCOME TO BEER WEEK, II
I went out to a D.C. Beer Week event, and was treated to people in a taco-eating contest with Chouffe chasers.