The first day of Redskins training camp was Thursday, and there wasn’t one person there who didn’t mention how hot it was at least once. Seriously, it was ridiculous, which made the dedication of the fans who showed up that much more impressive.
* In case you missed it, these fine folks drove 14 hours from Tampa just to be the first ones at Redskins training camp.
* DeAngelo Hall says that Robert Griffin III is the worst quarterback in the NFC East until he proves otherwise. He didn’t call him Bob, but he may as well have.
* Chris Cooley also had some words of wisdom. “No, you cannot talk about beating the Super Bowl Champs twice last year.”
* Here’s a gallery of photos from day one. The cold tub tent was pretty amazing.
As for Adam Carriker’s extreme heat prep, I asked him for an update after practice.
“I think it helped a little,” he said. “But I don’t think anything can prepare you for this heat.”
BECAUSE YOU DON’T READ THE PAPER...
* The decision to allow the beach volleyball players to wear more clothes has created a stir. The female boxers successfully fought against being forced to wear skirts in the ring. It’s a good thing we’re not overly concerned with what female athletes wear.
* The Nats now share the best record in baseball.
* Alexander Semin has signed with the Hurricanes.
TWEET OF THE NIGHT
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT
Davey Johnson on the Nats post season chances:
“If we play up to our abilities, we’ll be fine. We can win a pennant.”
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT II
Chris Cooley on curbing enthusiasm:
“There’s always a lot of confidence in August. We always think we’re going to the Super Bowl. We’re the best football team in the NFL in August every year, in my opinion. So I think we’ve got to look past that and say we’ve got a lot of work to do. We’ll come and do it every day. We don’t have anything to talk about right now. We haven’t won a lot of football games in a long time. So let’s see what we can do to fix it.”
HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT
If you wondered what it’s like to be RGIII, it’s kind of like being a rock star...
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Once again, the Redskins cold tub tent...
WHAT TO WATCH TODAY
Oakland at Baltimore, 7 p.m. on MASN. Nats at Brewers, 7 p.m. MASN2. All TV/Radio listings are here.
A legally blind archer has set the first world record of the London Olympics.
CRAZY THING OF THE DAY
This man claims he rode a rickshaw from China to London to support Olympic athletes. His journey began in April. Of 2010.