wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost

The Post Most: Sports

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/tv-listings-dc
On Twitter: dcsportsbog and SarahKogod  |  The Bog on Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 12:22 PM ET, 01/27/2012

Rent Wizards suite, meet Gheorghe Muresan


If you were on the fence about renting a suite at Verizon Center for a Wizards game, maybe this offer can push you over the fence. Like, in one big step. You could just stride right over that fence.

See, it turns out that by renting a suite for $2,500, you get not only the $500 food and beverage credit and the complimentary Wizards hats; you also get to hang with Gheorghe Muresan. Thanks to Reader Mike for passing along this offer.


In more serious news, Ted Leonsis posted a long blog item about the secondary ticket market, which is worth a read. One longish excerpt, which might possibly be of interest to Bog readers:

Recently some media and fans have focused on tickets available online for less than a dollar, and in one case there was a Wizards ticket that was available on the secondary market for 30 cents. That certainly is the right of the ticket holder – he or she can attempt to sell the ticket for whatever price they want. Interestingly, and perhaps not coincidentally, the 30-cent ticket was for a game that we offered our plan holders additional complimentary tickets for friends, family or business associates. It’s an attempt to have our season-ticket holders, frequently our best brand ambassadors, introduce our team to someone they know. So it’s certainly conceivable that a fan obtained a comp ticket and wanted to make a statement by posting it for 30 cents. I don’t know if that is what actually occurred, but it is feasible – perhaps reasonable – to assume.
In contrast, data for that exact Wizards game on a ticket aggregating site showed the most popular ticket being sold online was one that carried a $30 gate value, was sold to season-tickets holders at $16 and had an average online posting price of $42.52. So while we know the actual average selling price was lower than $42, my assumption is that it was slightly higher than 30 cents. So while the 30-cent ticket was sensationally priced – it does grab your attention, which I guess was the idea – but it doesn’t accurately reflect the overall market for tickets.
Remember, it’s easy for fans or media to show an image of empty seats to help illustrate a preconceived storyline, but on average that’s only 25% of story. What happened to the remaining 75%? Honestly, I would be a little skeptical of someone who elects to share just 25% — I would rather have the entire story and then it would be up to me to make a determination on what I should think and feel. But perhaps that’s just me.

And yes, I do pick out the most extraordinary cases for blog items, so maybe you should be a little skeptical of me.

By  |  12:22 PM ET, 01/27/2012

Categories:  Wizards | Tags:  Gheorghe Muresan, Verizon Center, Ted Leonsis

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company