After reflecting on all the changes unveiled by the Wizards on Tuesday, the very wise Jamie Mottram had a thought. It went like this:
Would you like it if the #Wizards changed their name to Monuments? Because it’s kind of setting up that way, and I don’t like it one bit.
So then I thought about it, and yeah, there’s a certain logic here.
* The ownership group has been renamed “Monumental Sports & Entertainment.”
* The team is clearly de-emphasizing the hell out of the “Wizards” name, and also the wretched red Wizard logo that caused such a fuss when it was prematurely leaked in March. I’ve been told fans won’t really see that monstrous Wizards logo on anything produced by the team.
* What’s replacing the Wizard logo? Among other things, the Washington Monument basketball logo, seen above.
* Oh, and did you notice the “d” in the “Wizards” script?
* And the “h” in the road “Washington” font?
* And how about the top strip of the newly designed Web site?
* And hey, even the return of the hands logo brought back some Washington Monument connotation for longtime local TV producer Larry Duvall, who linked it with this photo.
Now, we don’t know if a name change is even on the table. But gosh, that’s an awful lot of Monumental stuff.