Bryce Harper will make his first major league Home Run Derby appearance tonight, alongside National League Derby-mates David Wright, Michael Cuddyer, and Pedro Alvarez
“This is one of the things that was on the bucket list for playing ball,” Harper said after he got the invite. “I’m excited to win the thing.”
Here is everything you need to know about Harper’s appearance tonight.
* Harper has chosen his father to pitch to him. “It’s awesome,” Ron Harper said. “It’ll be a great thing. Robinson Cano’s dad did it.”
* A clairvoyant Drew Storen predicts the Derby to come down to Harper and Chris Davis.
* Bovada is giving Harper 5-1 odds to win the Derby.
* Rays pitcher David Price wasn’t so thrilled with Harper’s selection.
* Some people think that the Home Run Derby can ruin a player’s swing. Davey Johnson doesn’t think Harper will suffer the Home Run Derby hangover. “It would [mess up someone's swing] in a lot of cases, but Bryce is swinging as hard as he can all the time anyway.”
TWEET OF THE NIGHT
Crowdsourcing at its best.
Should I shower, then pack or pack, then shower? #HelpMe
— Donte’ Stallworth (@DonteStallworth) July 14, 2013
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT
Bryce Harper on having his dad pitch to him in tonight’s Home Run Derby:
“I’m excited to share that moment with him.”
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Bradley Beal sitting down with some kids to help design a KaBOOM! playground.
HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT
Wizards summer league highlights. Isn’t July the best?
WHAT TO WATCH TODAY
Home Run Derby, 8 p.m. on ESPN. All TV/Radio listings here.