Most Read: Local

D.C. Wire
About this Blog & the Writers |  On Twitter  On Twitter  |  RSS RSS Feed
Posted at 11:20 AM ET, 07/19/2011

Gray reacts to Post report on campaign fundraising

Mayor Vincent C. Gray said a Washington Post article on discrepancies with cash and money orders in his successful mayoral campaign “raises serious questions,” but he said he is staying focused on his job as mayor.

Gray issued a statement Tuesday in response to the article that reiterated his comments during an interview for the story. Gray described a grass-roots campaign that had to be put in place during a small window of time, forcing him to entrust campaign duties to others. “But obviously, if mistakes were made, the campaign should be held responsible,” he said in the statement.

A Washington Post review of campaign finance records and interviews with contributors and campaign staff found that the Gray campaign accepted cash donations in excess of a $25 legal limit. In some cases, the cash was converted into money orders and reported as money orders, The Post found.

The mayor will participate in a Post online chat at 1 p.m. to answer questions about the campaign fundraising, teacher evaluations, new D.C. Council assignments and other current events in city government.

Here is Gray’s full statement on today’s article:

The story published in today’s Post raises serious questions about my mayoral campaign. I regret that unresolved issues from the campaign continue to surface.
The campaign has been under investigation – an investigation for which I called as soon as allegations of improprieties were made several months ago – and I cannot comment on specific matters. Last year, we mounted a grass-roots mayoral campaign and won within a brief six-month time frame. The schedule was very tight, and I had to trust people to properly carry out the duties for which they were responsible. But obviously, if mistakes were made, the campaign should be held accountable.
As the investigations of the mayoral campaign continue, neither I nor my administration will be distracted from continuing the important work we are mandated to do for the residents of the District of Columbia.
The Gray Administration is working diligently and at full strength in moving my agenda forward, and in no way are we distracted by the ongoing investigation of a campaign that ended more than eight months ago.

By  |  11:20 AM ET, 07/19/2011

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company