The Rev. Anthony J. Motley has abandoned his campaign as an independent candidate for an at-large seat on the D.C. Council after he failed to collect the required 3,000 signatures needed to get on the ballot.
Motley, who was hoping to unseat council member David A. Catania (I-At Large) in the general election, said in a statement that the Board of Elections and Ethics notified him Monday that he did not meet the requirements to appear on the ballot.
"Motley wants his supporters to know he appreciates their support efforts and all of their support," the statement said.
When he entered the race earlier this year, Motley, a former Democrat, was widely viewed as the candidate that D.C. Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) would support to try to oust Catania. Over the past year, Barry and Catania have had a toxic relationship stemming from Barry's use of council earmarks and his opposition to Catania's same-sex marriage law.
Motley said the council investigation into Barry's use of earmarks undercut his effort to get on the ballot. As part of a council investigation, attorney Robert S. Bennett accused Motely of helping Barry steer city money to organizations that had ties to the former mayor. Motley, who was forced to step down as president of the JOBS Coalition because of the controversy, noted that the D.C. Office of Campaign Finance and the D.C. Auditor later cleared him of wrongdoing.
With Motley out of the race, Catania will probably face only token opposition as he competes for the council seat reserved for a member of a minority party.