President Obama has approved the District’s request for disaster relief, allowing the city to tap federal dollars to recoup costs incurred in response to Superstorm Sandy.
The city received confirmation Thursday that the request had been approved, according to a news release issued by the Office of the Mayor and the D.C. Homeland Security and Emergency Agency.
“The District appreciates the President’s decision to provide federal disaster aid, as it will defray some of the costs incurred while ensuring our residents, visitors and the federal workforce were safe and able to recover and get back to business quickly after Superstorm Sandy,” Mayor Vincent C. Gray said in a statement.
The District was spared severe damage from the storm, which ravaged New York and New Jersey.
But the District government closed offices and schools Oct. 29 and 30, and rail and bus service was suspended by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.
“To date, costs are assessed at $6,446,760.00,” said Robyn Johnson, spokeswoman for HSEMA, adding that the amount could be adjusted based on the continued assessment by the agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.