Beginning next week, a series of bridge maintenance and safety inspections will close lanes on bridges across the District. The maintenance and inspections will be handled by the District Department of Transportation between next Monday and Aug. 30.
While the work is scheduled to occur between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., ideally missing the morning and evening commutes, the closures could still create delays. So try to avoid these areas if you can.
• Southbound I-395 center segment under Constitution, Pennsylvania, Independence, Washington and Maryland avenues: Alternating right and left lane closures (Aug. 13-14 and Aug. 20).
• Southeast Freeway/I-395 over 7th Street SE: The left lane of the eastbound Southeast Freeway will be closed, followed by the left lane of the westbound Southeast Freeway (Aug. 15).
• CSX Railroad over East Capitol Street: The right and left lane will have alternating closures on eastbound East Capitol Street under the bridge, after which the right and left lane will have alternating closures on westbound East Capitol Street under the bridge (Aug. 21).
• East Capitol Street over the Anacostia River: The right lane of eastbound East Capitol Street will have closures, followed by the right lane of westbound East Capitol Street (Aug. 22).
• I-395/Southwest Freeway ramp over South Capitol Street: A part of the westbound Southwest Freeway ramp will close (Aug. 22).
• 16th Street NW over Military Road: Alternating right and left lane closures on eastbound Military Street under 16th Street will be followed by alternating right and left lane closures on the same westbound span (Aug. 23).
• 10th Street Mall over Southwest Freeway/I-395:
This one’s a three-parter:
- The right lane of eastbound Southwest Freeway will close on the eastbound stretch under the 10th Street Mall, followed by a right lane closure (adjacent to the median barrier) of the same stretch on eastbound Southwest Freeway under the 10th Street Mall (Aug. 28);
- The left lane of westbound Southwest Freeway under the 10th Street Mall will close, followed by a right lane closure (adjacent to the median barrier) on the westbound stretch (Aug. 29);
- The right lane of westbound Southwest Freeway under the 10th Street Mall will close, followed by the left lane of Frontage Road under the 10th Street Mall (Aug. 30).