Delaware is cracking down on motorists caught on camera running red lights who haven’t paid the fines by enlisting the help of a collection agency.
According to the Delaware Department of Transportation, there is a current backlog of $4.5 million in fines, but 52 percent of the amount is owed from out of state.
According to a report to the state legislature earlier this year, there were more than 30,000 violations outstanding, with Maryland and Pennsylvania tags accounting for about 4,000 each and New Jersey for about 1,500.
Officials said the Electronic Red Light Safety Program already collects about 88 percent of fines each year. The state, however, wants to improve that rate and plans to begin turning delinquencies over to a collection agent in October.
Delware fines the owner of a registered vehicle $112.50 for a violation, with $10 late charges accruing every 30 days, to a maximum of $142.50. The fines are considered delinquent when they are 120 days overdue.
The state places a hold on vehicle registrations for in-state violators but doesn’t have that recourse for out-of-state owners. Delaware officials said they are discussing forming reciprocity agreements with surrounding states.
The collection agency, Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, specialists in collecting for governments, will both send written notices and call violators, Delaware transportation officials said.
Wilmington operates its own red light camera program and its own collection program.
Red light camera locations in Delaware include:
New Castle County
• Old Baltimore Pike at Salem Church Road/Salem Woods Drive
• Route 2 at Harmony Road
• Route 2 at Red Mill Road/Polly Drummond Hill Road
• Route 2 at Route 41
• Route 2 at Route 7
• Route 4 at Marrows Road
• Route 40 at Route 72
• Route 40 at Route 896
• Route 40 at Scotland Drive
• Route 58/Churchman's Road at Route 1 northbound ramps
• Route 92/Naaman's Road at Shipley Road/Brandywine Parkaway
• Route 273 at Harmony Road/Gerald Drive
• Route 273 at Route 7
• U.S.13 at Roosevelt Avenue
• U.S.202 at Route 92
• Route 1 at Munchy Branch Road/Miller Road
• Route 1 at Old Landing Road
• U.S. 13 at Road 40/Redden Road
• U.S. 113 at Route 20
• Route 896 at Route 4
• Elkton Road at Route 4
City of Elsmere
• Route 2 at Dupont Road
City of Dover
• Governor's Avenue at North Street
• U.S. 13 at Division Street/Route 8
• U.S. 13 at Kings Highway/White Oak Road
• U.S. 13 at Loockerman Street
• U.S. 13 at Roosevelt Avenue
• U.S. 13 at Scarborough Road
• U.S. 13 at Webbs Lane
City of Seaford
• U.S. 13 at Tharp Road