The funeral for U.S. Park Police Sgt. Michael Boehm could have a major impact on traffic on Wednesday.
Boehm collapsed while he and other officers and firefighters were trying to help a man who had fallen or jumped from the Key Bridge in Georgetown. He died a short while later at Georgetown University Hospital.
The funeral will be held at Burke’s Church of the Nativity (6400 Nativity Ln.) on Wednesday at 10 a.m. Following the service , a processional will leave the church at about 11:30 a.m. and head for the U.S. Park Police headquarters in downtown Washington. The processional will then go back into Virginia and head to the cemetery (Fairfax Memorial Park, 9900 Braddock Rd., Fairfax).
The procession could take about 90 minutes. Rolling road closures might impact commuters in the late morning into the early afternoon, with some routes potentially closing for long periods of time. The processional is scheduled to move along the following route:
• Make a right out of the church onto Old Keene Mill Road
• Left on Fairfax County Parkway
• Left on ramp to I-395 North HOV
• Left on exit ramp to Washington Boulevard/VA Route 27
• Washington BoulevardVA Route 27 to Memorial Bridge
• Across Memorial Bridge into Washington at the Lincoln Memorial
• South on 23rd Street on the south side of the Lincoln Memorial
• Left turn eastbound Independence Avenue to Maine Avenue
• Maine Avenue to East Basin Drive heading towards the Jefferson Memorial
• South on Ohio Drive towards Hains Point
• Right turn west onto Buckeye Drive and past U.S. Park Police Headquarters
• Right turn onto Ohio Drive along Potomac River, across Inlet Bridge, through West Potomac Park heading back towards the Lincoln Memorial
• Left onto Ohio Drive/Rock Creek Parkway behind Lincoln Memorial to make ramp back onto Memorial Bridge returning into Virginia
• Memorial Bridge to south on George Washington Parkway to south VA Route 27 to I-395 South HOV
• South on I-395 HOV to Fairfax County Parkway
• Left exit onto Fairfax County Parkway making right onto the parkway itself
• Right on Braddock Road
• Left on Burke Station Road
• Right turn into cemetery