Soul singer Gladys Knight plans to be at Union Station
Saturday to host Amtrak’s fourth annual National Train Day festivities.
Amtrak is also holding events in Chicago, Los Angeles and Philadelphia, all of which will include tours of Amtrak equipment and private rail cars; activities for kids; exhibits; and model trains.The free event takes place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The exhibits in Washington will feature a special train commemorating Amtrak’s 40th anniversary this year; the railroad was chartered by Congress and began operating in 1971.
The train will consist of two locomotives and renovated baggage cars with historical items, such as advertising and uniforms. Another exhibit will recognize the role of the B&O Railroad as the only train line into Washington during the Civil War, Amtrak said.
Train equipment planned for display includes:
• MARC MP36 locomotive
• MARC Commuter Bi-Level car
• VRE Rail car
• VRE locomotive
Historic rail cars
• Cannon Ball – Business car
• Golden Moon – Sleeper Lounge-Crews quarters
• Imperial Leaf – Business car
• Southern Hospitality – Dome-Lounge car
• J Pinckney Henderson – Sleeper-Lounge car
• Hollywood Beach – Sleeper-Lounge
• Greenwich Estate – Lounge-Parlor-Dining car
• Greenwich Harbor – Lounge-Parlor-Dining car
• Scottish Thistle – Business car
• Amtrak Auto Train mini-display:
• Superliner sleeping car
• Auto Train lounge for sleeping car passengers
• Auto Train dining car for sleeping car passengers
• Auto Train coach
• Coach transition sleeper
• Northeast Regional Amfleet ClubDinette
• Northeast Regional business car
Last year actor Taye Diggs served as host.