wpostServer: http://css.washingtonpost.com/wpost2

Most Read: Local

Dr. Gridlock
Traffic and Commuting Home  |  Discussions  |  Columns  |  Q&A  |      Twitter  |     Facebook |  phone Alerts
Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 10/18/2011

Man hit last week by Orange Line train dies

The 39-year-old McLean man who allegedly placed himself in front of an oncoming train on the Orange Line at the Clarendon station last week has died, according to Metro officials.

Metro’s chief spokesman Dan Stessel said the man died Tuesday morning. His name and the hospital where he was being treated were not released.

On Monday, the man was listed in “critical condition” in the intensive care unit of an area hospital, according to Stessel.

The man was struck on Oct. 11 around 5 p.m. and suffered “head injuries and multiple broken bones,” Stessel said.

Metro Transit Police talked to the train operator and witnesses and determined that the man walked through a gate that leads to the train tunnel, Stessel said, and “intentionally placed himself in the path of the train.”

Some stations along the Orange Line were overwhelmed with passengers and temporarily closed. There were major delays as shuttle buses tried to compensate for the temporary loss of rail service. Emergency response to the crowding brought traffic in areas around some Metro stations to a standstill.

Follow me on Twitter @postmetrogirl.

By  |  12:45 PM ET, 10/18/2011

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company