Virginia Railway Express officials have announced a series of hearings so riders can ask questions and comment on the agency’s proposed fiscal 2013 budget.
If adopted, the budget would mean an average hike of 3 percent for passengers. The move would come on the heels of a reduction in pretax transit benefits allowed under federal law. The proposed increases are due to several factors, including contractor fee hikes and projected higher gas prices, VRE officials have said.
Here is the meeting schedule:
• Tuesday, March 13, at 7 p.m. Rappahannock Regional Library, 1201 Caroline St., Fredericksburg.
• Wednesday, March 14, at noon. Holiday Inn L’Enfant, 550 C. St. SW, Washington, DC.
• Thursday, March 15, at 7 p.m. Potomac Rapphanock Transportation Commission, 14700 Potomac Mills Rd., Woodbridge.
• Thursday, March 22, at 7 p.m. Manassas City Hall, 9027 Center St., Manassas.
• Tuesday, March 27, at noon. Crystal City Marriott, 1999 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington.
• Wednesday, March 28 at 7 p.m. Burke Centre Conservancy, 5701 Roberts Pkwy., Burke.
• Thursday, March 29, 7 p.m. Stafford County Government Center, board’s chambers, 1300 Courthouse Rd., Stafford