Sidney Rice retires after career marked by concussions, injuries
Sidney Rice retired from football on Wednesday, saying he wants “to be able to function and do things later down the road.”
Rice, 27, has had a number of injuries that limited his seven-year career at wide receiver. He tore his anterior-cruciate ligament last fall and had other knee problems. He missed 10 games in 2010 after having hip surgery and he missed five games in 2011 because of concussions. It was the last of those that led to Rice’s decision, an unnamed source told USA Today, but Rice wasn’t specific when he spoke with Seahawks.com.
“I was just thinking about things I’ve been through in the last few years,” Rice said. “I’ve hit the ground a number of times. I have quite a few injuries. It’s something I’ve always battled through and came back from. But I just figure at this point I have the rest of my life ahead of me and I want to be able to function and do things later down the road.”
Rice’s best season came in 2009, when he was with the Minnesota Vikings and he caught 83 passes from Brett Favre for 1,312 yards and eight touchdowns. Rice played in 33 games for Seattle, but missed most of the Super Bowl season after tearing his ACL on Oct. 28. In addition, he showed concussion symptoms after the game. He was released by the team on Feb. 28, but resigned a one-year deal in April.
Rice moves on now to his business interests, which include running Wingstop restaurants.
“I’m sort of a job creator right now,” he said. “What got me into the wings? It’s my favorite food. In Minnesota there was no Wingstop. So me and Adrian Peterson, every time we’d have an away game, we’d hop in the car and try to find a Wingstop. So we always talked about opening one.”
Florida Coach Will Muschamp is still confused by Twitter
Florida Coach Will Muschamp has long had a tenuous grasp of Twitter conventions since he began tweeting in 2011. Take, for instance, this tweet from last year.
I don’t know why they call it a hash tag I call it a number sign #makesnosense
I, for one, think the #numbersign movement will be the greatest social-media invention of our time, and Muschamp will end up being hailed as an innovator.
What a performance by @GatorZoneSBall vs. Alabama in all phases of the game. Congrats to @_TimWalton and his team #ItsGreatUF #numbersign — Will Muschamp (@CoachWMuschamp) June 3, 2014
We’ve got to develop the younger guys #numbersign
Anyway, Muschamp still appears to be struggling with it. On Wednesday, he sent out a since-deleted tweet that read more like it should have been a direct message to a recruit.
When Twitter direct messaging goes wrong, Will Muschamp recruits ALL OF US: http://t.co/IDW3PmegYb pic.twitter.com/dwQHfHiFQT — SB Nation (@SBNation) July 24, 2014
The fax is on its way, Coach.
What happens when an NFL owner steps down or dies? Jerry Jones describes the succession plan
Five NFL teams have had a change in ownership over the last two years and, although football is a game, it’s also a very important business.
That means that owners give a great deal of attention to the plans for the succession of ownership. On Wednesday, Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen relinquished control of the team because he has Alzheimer’s disease and the Dallas Morning News pulled back the curtain on how owners manage the transfer of power. For one thing, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told David Moore, the NFL — which, really, is the owners — requires each owner to meet with league officials once a year to go over and provide updates on succession plans.
“They can’t have chaos among ownership,’’ Jones said. “I can’t, the Cowboys can’t afford chaos because it impacts us all. The league has every right to demand it. They are diligent about it. It’s huge as to the financial aspects, the financial consequences, the tax consequences, how it can impact fans and the league.”
The Broncos are held in a family trust and team president Joe Ellis has made the major decisions for the last four years, with Bowlen’s input. Ellis now becomes chief executive officer. Over the last two years, Buffalo’s Ralph Wilson, Tennessee’s Bud Adams, Detroit’s William Ford and Tampa Bay’s Malcolm Glazer have died and most provided for their children to take control of the team. (The Bills, though, are an exception; they’re up for sale.)
“The point is, the structure and the stability of the franchise can be impacted by death or a changing of the guard,” Jones, 71, told Moore as he spoke about the silver anniversary of his ownership of the team. “Our plan, frankly, I’ve had this plan since I bought the team. What I didn’t know was how effective these people were going to be and how focused and interested they were going to be in the ensuing years.”
Owning an NFL team, Jones pointed out, is a way of life for his kids, who work for the team, and said they have “made it their lives.”
“Sitting here 25 years later, it would have to go down as a highlight, our working relationship,” he said. “Anyone who knows family relationships knows that working together does not necessarily work out, especially between siblings. I’m very proud of the fact that publicly and privately, I have people say the thing that impresses them most about me is my family.”
Kansas City Chiefs lock up Jamaal Charles with two-year contract extension
Running back Jamaal Charles, who led the Kansas City Chiefs in both rushing and receiving and scored an NFL-high 19 touchdowns last season, has agreed to a two-year contract extension, the team announced Wednesday night.
The Chiefs’ players reported to training camp on Wednesday afternoon, and Charles reportedly was not going to be there until a new deal was reached. But the team and Charles’s representatives quickly hammered out a deal to keep the running back, who accounted for a league-high 35.3 percent of his team’s yards from scrimmage, in Kansas City.
I had no intention on holding out…I just ran out of gas on the way to camp and my cell phone battery died. It was a long walk I tell ya.
“Jamaal is an elite player in the National Football League,” Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey said in a release. “It was important for us to keep him here in Kansas City long-term.”
Terms of the deal were not officially released, but the Kansas City Star has the scoop:
A person with knowledge of the situation also told The Star that Charles is set to earn more than $18 million in new money from the agreement, including $5.1 million more than he had been set to make over the next two years.
Despite his gaudy numbers, Charles was not one of the league’s highest-paid running backs before the extension. As reported by the Star, “his original base salary of $2.6 million this season ranked 11th in the NFL among running backs, behind players such as Steven Jackson of Atlanta and Reggie Bush of Detroit, whose production didn’t come close to matching what Charles did last season, when he made his third Pro Bowl.”
The queen is not amused at Commmonwealth Games malfunction
The Commonwealth Games involve 53 countries from the six inhabited continents who have a historical connection to the old British Empire. So it simply would not do to hold an opening ceremonies for these Games without Queen Elizabeth II showing up.
Sure enough, the monarch arrived (disappointingly not by parachute) and took her place on the Glasgow, Scotland, stage to read the Queen’s Message from the Commonwealth Baton. The Baton is basically these Games’ version of the Olympic torch, but instead of a flame, it has a note inside.
The plan called for Malaysia’s Prince Imran to take the top off the baton, pull out the note and hand it to Her Majesty. Just one, small problem: The top wouldn’t come off. Try as he might, Prince Imran couldn’t make it happen, and soon decorated cyclist Sir Chris Hoy stepped in to lend a hand, but he also had trouble with it. Which made for kind of an awkward moment, what with the opening ceremonies waiting to move on, not to mention, you know, the queen of England.
Needless to say, Twitter took note:
Whoever designed the Commonwealth Baton can forget any chance of getting an MBE. #CWG2014
How many Commonwealth officials does it take to open a baton? #OpeningCeremony http://t.co/k1TNhx0Er2 — The Daily Record (@Daily_Record) July 23, 2014
They’re grabbing and passing that baton like my relatives trying to pay a bill in a restaurant first #Glasgow2014 #nawillgetit
Come on, come on, come on. #CommonwealthGames — Elizabeth Windsor (@Queen_UK) July 23, 2014
Finally, success! A moment of huge relief for all involved, particularly Hoy, to judge by the look on his face.
Blimey, that was like trying to solve a Rubik’s cube! #phew
The defining image of the ceremony: this eye contact between @chrishoy and the queen. pic.twitter.com/D9L5Pes7Qz
As it turned out, the queen did crack a smile, after all. Hey, the headline’s not completely wrong — she certainly didn’t seem very amused at first. It was already a tough sports week for Her Majesty, what with her doped-up horse. But all’s well that ends, mercifully, after some very awkward moments.