His blistering fastballs have made him virtually unhittable this spring, forcing manager Dusty Baker to give him a shot at the closer job. But while 100-plus mile per hour heaters from the mound to home plate are all well and good, similar speeds on the highway are generally frowned upon.
Chapman was pulled over at about 12:42 a.m. Monday when his black Mercedes S63 was clocked traveling at 93 mph on the interstate, as first reported by WLTW. The 24-year-old Cuban-American was arrested at the scene at which point the officer discovered Chapman was driving with a suspended Kentucky license, according to a police report.
Baker and Reds general manager Walt Jocketty met with Chapman following Monday night’s 4-1 win over Atlanta — a game in which Sean Marshall picked up the final out to notch his eighth save in a tumultuous first month and a half in the role.
“I don’t know what happened,” Baker said after the meeting. “He got a speeding ticket. It can happen to anybody. His people are taking care of it, and we’re helping.”
Chapman was released on bond and is scheduled to appear in court on June 6. This is the latest trouble for a player who was just sued for $18 million by a Cuban-American man who blames Chapman for his imprisonment. The lawsuit, filed last week in Miami federal court, claims Chapman falsely accused Danilo Curbelo Garcia of involvement in human trafficking. Garcia was arrested and convicted in 2008 and is currently serving a 10-year sentence in Cuba. Chapman and his agent have not commented on the case.
Marshall was named the closer before the season began but has struggled to nail down the job. Through Monday he has a 4.80 ERA and 1.67 WHIP with three walks and 22 strikeouts. Chapman, meanwhile, has yet to allow an earned run and has 39 strikeouts in only 22 1/3 innings.
“He graduated to the setup role,” Baker said. “Now, hopefully, he’s graduated — which we think he might have — to the closer’s role. It just depends on how often you can use him.”