Everyone wants to see Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight Manny Pacquiao.
But with no date in sight, and each fighter blaming the other for impeding plans for what would be the most highly anticipated bout in years, Mayweather has agreed to fight a different foe.
On May 5, Mayweather will fight Miguel Cotto in a Cinco de Mayo matchup in Las Vegas. The guy has to eat, after all.
I'm fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5th because Miss Pac Man is ducking me.— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) February 1, 2012
The Nevada Athletic Commission granted the one-fight license for the fight on Wednesday on one key condition: Mayweather must fulfill his 90-day jail sentence for the domestic battery charges he pled no contest to in December. The original felony and misdemeanor charges could have landed Mayweather in prison for 34 years but were significantly reduced as part of his plea bargain.
Earlier this month, Mayweather went after Pacquiao on Twitter, challenging him to a fight to “give the world what they want to see.” Pacquiao continues to maintain that he wants Mayweather to be his next opponent. But to this point, the two can’t seem to get on the same page.
On Tuesday, new HBO Sports president Ken Hershman said the long-desired Pacquiao-Mayweather fight continues to become “less and less relevant” with each passing month.
Some have said the star-studded matchup would help bring boxing back into the spotlight, but Hershman refuted the claim.
“I don’t believe the sport needs to be saved or believe all that hyperbole.”
More from Washington Post Sports: