Day two of the NFL’s quickfire free agency period was packed with trades, rumors and rookie signings as teams begin training camps while simultaneously finalizing rosters. Two days after Monday’s announcement that the NFL would resume operations, the action has kicked into high gear. Here is a roundup of news from around the NFC:
Check out a round-up from day one of NFL free agency
• The Washington Redksins agreed to terms with free agent and former New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield. Cofield had a career year in 2010 for the Giants. It wasn’t immediately clear if he will play nose tackle or end for the Redskins’ 3-4 defense.The Redksins also signed WR Donte Stallworth, formerly of the Baltimore Ravens.
• The Dallas Cowboys continued to make roster moves one day after announcing they would clear salary cap space by releasing several veterans. A person with knowledge of the situation said the ‘Boys signed LT Doug Free to a four-year contract.
• Eagles quarterback Michael Vick lost his endorsement with Fuse Science Inc. after signing a competing endorsement deal with another company.
• Giants coach Tom Coughlin signed a contract extension which will keep the coach in New York through 2012.
• The Carolina Panthers agreed to terms with former Kansas City Chiefs defensive tackle Ron Edwards. ESPN reported the deal was worth more than $8 million over three years.
• The St. Louis Rams made a move to bolster their secondary by signing former Eagles safety Quintin Mikell.
• The Seattle Seahawks finalized contract terms with former Vikings QB Tavaris Jackson, according to an AP source.
• The Arizona Cardinals picked up a boatload of undrafted rookies — 21 thus far — while coach Ken Wisenhunt downplayed rumors of a quick resolution to the team’s quarterback search.
• The Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers agreed to terms of a five-year deal with place kicker Mason Crosby.
• Former Michigan State kicker Dave Rayner re-signed with the Detroit Lions.
• The Minnesota Vikings are reportedly in the final stages of negotiating a deal which would send Redskins QB Donovan McNabb to Minnesota in exchange for draft picks.
All that and more as our NFL free agency coverage continues on the Early Lead...