With a new coach, a new tackle and a new tight end, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler thinks it isn’t likely that he’ll be getting a contract extension this season.
“Yeah, I think that’s probably the way we’re headed,” Cutler said on ESPN Radio’s “Waddle & Silvy Show” on Tuesday morning. “We haven’t really talked about anything.
“We’re upgrading in certain positions and I don’t think we’re really in position to do my deal. But like I said, [General Manager Phil Emery] has a plan worked out, so we’ll just have to see what happens. But I’m perfectly comfortable in the situation I’m in, and if we go into it with just this last year, then so be it. I’ll play it out and we’ll see what happens at the end of the year.”
The Bears were active Tuesday when the free-agent market opened, adding tackle Jermon Bushrod and tight end Martellus Bennett to an offense that was sub-par in 2012 and helped get coach Lovie Smith fired.
“Coach Trestman and his offense, I’m really excited about it,” Cutler said. “I think the guys will be really excited about it. Our approach to the offense and just the intensity we’re going to approach each and every day…we’re getting the pieces talent-wise around everybody. The defense is going to be really good once again and the special teams will be there as well. It’s all about getting hot in December and making a push into the playoffs. So we have to stay healthy and some things have to fall our way. But I think Phil and everyone involved is doing everything possible to put us in a position to be successful. ”