Aaron Hernandez not ruled out as suspect in homicide case (updated)

June 20, 2013

Aaron Hernandez left his house this morning. (Mark Stockwell / AP)

Updated at 4 p.m.

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has not been eliminated as a suspect in the murder of a semi-pro football player whose body was found in an industrial park not far from Hernandez’s home, ABC News reported.

“He [Hernandez] has not been ruled out,” a police official close to the investigation told ABC News. “We are not calling him a suspect, but he is definitely not in the clear.”

Police dug Thursday at the site where Odin Lloyd's body was found. (Mark Stockwell /AP)
Police looked for evidence Thursday at the site where Odin Lloyd’s body was found. (Mark Stockwell /AP)

The body of Odin Lloyd, who had been shot in the back of the head, was found late Monday afternoon in an industrial park near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Mass. Lloyd, 27, had been dating Shanea Jenkins, the sister of the mother of Hernandez’s daughter, according to police. He is believed to have been killed between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. Monday.

Police were returning with another warrant today, ABC reported, because of evidence that Hernandez “destroyed his home security system,” an investigator said. The system, which included video surveillance, was intentionally destroyed, as was a cell phone that Hernandez used. The source said it was “in pieces” when it was handed over to investigators. In addition, police are seeking information about why the tight end hired a team of house cleaners Monday.

Hernandez ventured out this morning, hopping into his white Audi and inadvertently creating a scene straight out of 1994, with TV station helicopters following him to Gillette Stadium (live feed here) and elsewhere. Nineteen years ago, it was O.J. Simpson’s white Bronco chase that captivated viewers during Game 5 of the NBA Finals.

 

When he stopped for gas, he declined to answer reporters’ questions.

 


“It has been widely reported in the media that the state police have searched the home of our client, Aaron Hernandez, as part of an ongoing investigation,” lawyer Michael Fee said in a statement. “Out of respect for that process, neither we nor Aaron will have any comment about the substance of that investigation until it has come to a conclusion.”

Hernandez, 23, is facing other problems. He is the defendant in a lawsuit refiled this week in Florida by a man he allegedly shot in February. Alexander S. Bradley contends that Hernandez shot him in the arm, with the bullet striking his head and causing him to lose his right eye.

Follow @CindyBoren on Twitter and on Facebook.

After spending most of her career in traditional print sports journalism, Cindy began blogging and tweeting, first as NFL/Redskins editor, and, since August 2010, at The Early Lead. She also is the social media editor for Sports.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Sports
Stats, scores and schedules
Next Story
Cindy Boren · June 20, 2013

Every story. Every feature. Every insight.

Yours for as low as JUST 99¢!

Not Now