Aaron Hernandez search warrants may be released (updated)


Police returned to search the home of Aaron Hernandez several times after the June 17 murder of Odin Lloyd. (Mark Stockwell / AP)

Updated at 2:03 p.m.

Defense attorneys have appealed the release of the documents and a hearing on that appeal is being held. Shortly after the hearing, the documents were unsealed.

Original post

Details of the investigation into the murder of Odin Lloyd are expected to be released at 2 p.m. today when search warrants surrounding the arrest of former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez are released.

New England media outlets requested that impoundment of the material be lifted and a judge said Monday that he would do so, barring a challenge from prosecutors or defense attorneys.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder and gun charges in the shooting death of Lloyd, a semi-pro football player. Hernandez is being held without bail in a Bristol County (Mass.) jail and two other men face lesser charges stemming from the shooting.

Carlos Ortiz was arraigned last month on a charge of illegally carrying a firearm on June 17, the day of the shooting. A not-guilty plea was entered on his behalf. Ernest Wallace, pleaded not guilty to a charge of being an accessory to murder on Monday.

“As far as the specifics about who was the shooter and who might have been a joint venturer, it’s too early to say,” Bristol County District Attorney Samuel Sutter said Monday. “The investigation is ongoing. There’s a probable cause hearing (for Hernandez) scheduled for two weeks, and our case continues to grow.”

Follow @CindyBoren on Twitter and on Facebook.

Related: Robert Kraft says he and Patriots were “duped” if charges are true

After spending most of her career in traditional print sports journalism, Cindy began blogging and tweeting, first as NFL/Redskins editor, and, since August 2010, at The Early Lead. She also is the social media editor for Sports.
Comments
Show Comments
Next Story
Cindy Boren · July 9, 2013