A-Rod to Yankees: “Enough doctors, let’s play”

July 25, 2013

(Kathy Willens / AP)

Alex Rodriguez announced in a statement Thursday that he is ready to play for the New York Yankees and put his feud with the team over the diagnosis of his quadriceps injury behind him.

“I think the Yankees and I crossed signals,” A-Rod said in a statement. “I don’t want any more mix-ups. I’m excited and ready to play and help this team win a championship. I feel great and I’m ready and want to be in the lineup Friday night.

“Enough doctors, let’s play.”

Rodriguez, according to a report by CBS Sports.com’s Jon Heyman, was being evaluated. He’s in Tampa, where is rehabbing from the quad injury at the team’s facility.

General Manager Brian Cashman had a statement of his own. “It is the Yankees’ desire to have Alex return to the lineup as soon as possible.”

All righty then.

A-Rod’s decision to seek a second opinion on the injury, which the Yankees’ doctors in New York determined Sunday was a Grade 1 strain, set off the front office. Dr. Michael Gross, who conducted the second exam, told WFAN’s Mike Francesa on Wednesday that A-Rod was healthy. The Yankees angrily countered by suggesting that the second opinion violated the collective bargaining agreement and a report surfaced that Gross had been reprimanded for “failing to proper patient treatment” in a steroids-related case.

The Yankees and A-Rod can’t even agree on whether and when he might have sought a second opinion, which makes General Manager Brian Cashman’s suggestion that A-Rod “shut the [expletive] up” last month look like pillow talk.

Follow @CindyBoren on Twitter and on Facebook.

After spending most of her career in traditional print sports journalism, Cindy began blogging and tweeting, first as NFL/Redskins editor, and, since August 2010, at The Early Lead. She also is the social media editor for Sports.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Sports
Stats, scores and schedules
Next Story
Cindy Boren · July 25, 2013