The main entree at a dinner confab of New York sports power brokers Monday night was a certain free-agent second baseman. The conversation? Whether Robinson Cano might be interested in the Mets.
Jay Z, a new sports agent whose company now reps Cano, was present along with Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, general manager Sandy Alderson, assistant GM John Ricco and CAA agent Brodie Van Wagenen at the NoMad Hotel, according to multiple reports. Cano reportedly is looking for a monster deal in the $300 million range, which means that the Mets aren’t likely bidders.
Still, it never hurts to have dinner, right? Especially if word leaks to the media and one side is looking to nudge the Yankees closer to re-signing the infielder. Last week, Alderson, according to ESPN New York’s Roger Rubin, “all but ruled out” a second $100-million contract for the team, which already has David Wright signed for eight years and $138 million.
At last week’s GM Meetings in Orlando, Fla., Alderson all but ruled the Mets out of having a second $100 million contract on the books alongside captain David Wright’s eight-year, $138 million deal — much less the $300 million contract Cano reportedly seeks.
“We’ve been in that stratosphere once recently with David Wright,” Alderson said. “Those were special circumstances. I think it would be difficult to duplicate that again — not from a financial standpoint, just in terms of team building.
“I think it’s difficult to concentrate those kinds of resources into very few players. It’s not really the way you build a quality, sustainable, winning team, I don’t think.”
The Yankees aren’t interested in paying that kind of money, either. “We want Robbie back; we think Robbie is terrific,” team president Randy Levine told ESPN New York. “But we have no interest in doing any 10-year deals and no interest in paying $300 million to any player. Until he gets a little more realistic, we have nothing to talk about.”
No word on who picked up the dinner tab.