Oh, sure, Tom Brady leading the New England Patriots to a comeback victory over Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos happened Sunday night and it was fabulous. But the Grey Cup was decided Sunday, with the Saskatchewan Roughriders beating the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 45-23 in Regina, and it offered any number of reminders why Canada might conceivably, possibly do these pro football championships better than America.
We’ll choose five, though.
1. Grimsley and Gump. Yeah, Martin Short and Tom Hanks were there. In the stands. In parkas. Hanks was taking selfies. The most fun celebrity couple at a Super Bowl was A-Rod and Cameron Diaz.
— Leake (@TheLeake) November 24, 2013
— Hamilton Tiger-Cats (@Ticats) November 24, 2013
2. Parkas. Cheerleaders and halftime entertainers in parkas. This goes against everything America stands for. So sue us.
3. Melon helmets, pep bands, humor, fun, sheer joy. You remember sheer joy.
4. Home-field advantage. At least this time. In Super Bowls, this is as rare as a cheap ticket.
5. No sign of the Toronto mayor, just the prime minister.
We’ll still take the Super Bowl, but this looks pretty terrific. For more of the spectacle and the game itself, see the live blog from the National Post.
H/T to Bruce Arthur