Penn State football Coach James Franklin took time out from trolling Maryland to give the commencement address on Saturday at East Stroudsburg University in Pennsylvania, his alma mater.
“It really comes down to waking up every single morning and doing a back handspring out of bed ready to attack the day with everything you have,” Franklin told the school’s graduates, per the Morning Call.
Franklin isn’t the only sports figure to don a cap and gown, perhaps receive some sort of wholly unmerited degree and give a speech. Here are some others.
– Former MLB manager Tony La Russa, Washington University (Mo.), May 16
– Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning, University of Virginia, May 17 (he’s speaking at the school’s Valedictory Exercises, where top students and professors are honored; it takes place one day before the school’s graduation ceremonies)
– San Diego Chargers QB Philip Rivers: Catholic University of America, May 17
– Former New York Yankees Manager Joe Torre, University of Hartford, May 18
– Tennis commentator Mary Carillo, Elon University, May 24 (her daughter, Rachel, is graduating from Elon)
– Long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad, Middlebury College, May 25
– Former U.S. women’s soccer player Brandi Chastain, Santa Clara University, June 14