Colin Kaepernick won’t be charged by Miami authorities


Colin Kaepernick addressed the media last week after signing a six-year contract extension. (Marcio Jose Sanchez / AP)

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick will not be charged in connection with an incident involving a woman at a Miami hotel last April.

“Charges were never filed,” Ed Griffith, the Miami-Dade County State Attorney’s office public information officer, told USA Today. “The woman came to the cops and said she may have been sexually assaulted. So that was viewed as a complaint. She made a complaint and there was basically no evidence that there was a sexual assault. The complaint was investigated and found to be unfounded.”

San Francisco wide receiver Quinton Patton and Seattle Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette were, like Kaepernick, investigated and also will not be charged.

A memo by Assistant State Attorney Laura Adams described the woman as incoherent when police and fire-rescue officers responded to 911 calls to the room at the Viceroy Hotel. She had to be sedated in order to be taken to the hospital, where she was temporarily involuntarily committed for her own safety, the memo says.

Kaepernick denied any wrongdoing.

After spending most of her career in traditional print sports journalism, Cindy began blogging and tweeting, first as NFL/Redskins editor, and, since August 2010, at The Early Lead. She also is the social media editor for Sports.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Sports
Stats, scores and schedules
Next Story
Cindy Boren · June 12

Every story. Every feature. Every insight.

Yours for as low as JUST 99¢!

Not Now