F1 legend Michael Schumacher no longer in a coma, is moved to hospital near his home


Nearly six months after suffering severe head injuries while skiing in the French Alps, Formula One legend Michael Schumacher has left a hospital in Grenoble, France. However, little else is known about his condition, other than the fact that he’s no longer in a coma. Doctors had placed the German auto racing legend into a coma after the accident to rest his brain and decrease swelling, and in April his manager said he “shows moments of consciousness and awakening.”

From the Associated Press:

Brigitte Polikar, a spokeswoman for the Grenoble hospital, said Schumacher left on Monday morning, accompanied by an unspecified number of people. She would not give any further details.

Schumacher’s family “would like to explicitly thank all his treating doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months,” Kehm’s statement said.

“The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes. … We are sure it helped him,” it added. “For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye,” it added.

The Guardian is reporting
that Schumacher had arrived at the University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland, on Monday morning. Schumacher and his family live in western Switzerland between Lausanne and Geneva.

The announcement came after a German magazine, Bunte, reported last Friday that the 45-year old champion had been moved from the Grenoble hospital’s intensive care department, where he had been in a medically induced coma, into a rehabilitation unit. The magazine reported that Schumacher was “out of danger”, although his chances of a full recovery had diminished. It said that preparations were under way to move him to a specialised rehabilitation clinic.

Schumacher, 45, won 91 F1 races and seven world titles before retiring in 2012. He suffered his injuries on Dec. 29 after craching into some rocks at the Meribel resort in the French Alps.

After spending the first 17 years of his Post career writing and editing, Matt and the printed paper had an amicable divorce in 2014. He's now blogging and editing for the Early Lead and the Post's other Web-based products.
Show Comments
Most Read Sports
Stats, scores and schedules
Next Story
Cindy Boren · June 15

Every story. Every feature. Every insight.

Yours for as low as JUST 99¢!

Not Now