Johnny Manziel’s No. 2 Cleveland Browns jersey is already No. 1 in sales despite that it’s still unclear whether the rookie quarterback will even start. According to NFLShop.com, his gear led sales from April 1 to July 17, the first quarter of the league’s fiscal year.
Manziel’s best friend Drake probably bought a few, but chances are Drake’s doings didn’t propel Manziel to the top alone. (Probably.)
Coming in second in the sales department is Russell Wilson, the quarterback of the Super Bowl-winning Seattle Seahawks. San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning and Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman rounded out the Top 5, respectively.
The only other rookie’s jersey in the Top 10 is St. Louis Rams defensive end Michael Sam, the first openly gay man to be drafted by the NFL. He claimed the sixth spot.
Perhaps most intriguingly, however, is the jersey that makes up the 10th spot. That jersey doesn’t belong to a person at all, but instead to Seattle’s famous “12th Fan,” a reference to the stadium-vibrating crowd noise that emanates from the city’s CenturyLink Field.
Here are the Top 25 jersey sales from April 1 through July 17, according to NFLShop.com:
- Johnny Manziel*, Browns
- Russell Wilson, Seahawks
- Colin Kaepernick, 49ers
- Peyton Manning, Broncos
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks
- Michael Sam*, Rams
- Tom Brady, New England Patriots
- Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
- Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
- 12th Fan, Seahawks
- Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks
- LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles
- Teddy Bridgewater*, Minnesota Vikings
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings
- Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
- Jadeveon Clowney*, Houston Texans
- Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins
- Blake Bortles*, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
- Earl Thomas III, Seahawks
- J.J. Watt, Texans
- Patrick Willis, 49ers
- Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
- Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions
- Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
*Indicates a rookie player