Poor Andrew Wiggins.
There has been speculation all summer that the Cleveland Cavaliers would trade him for Kevin Love, what with LeBron James coming home and all, but, for now, the No. 1 draft pick is wearing a Cleveland uniform — and that made for one awkward interview with ESPN’s Bram Weinstein on Sunday morning. How awkward was it? So much so that there were five big moments of discomfort.
1) There’s that uniform. Wiggins was wearing a Cavs jersey. Which prompted Cringe No. 2.
2) Weinstein asked, with a suppressed giggle, about the shirt becoming a collectors’ item. Wiggins either missed the point or chose to ignore it, saying with a laugh, “I hope so one day.”
3) About that James guy. Wiggins admitted they haven’t talked. “I feel like I had a busy summer. I feel like it’s hard for me to get on the phone and contact people so I can only imagine what it’s like for him.” Weinstein asked, again with a suppressed chuckle, what he might say to James to “suggest” that he’d like to be his teammate. “Shoot. I don’t really know what to say. When I’m in Cleveland, I’m going to play as hard as I can. Give it my all. I’ll play for whoever.”
4) Then came the sad part. “I just want to play for a team that wants me. So whichever team wants me I’ll play for.”
5) Wiggins appeared to struggle with his earpiece and asked for a question to be repeated twice. Then, there was this exchange:
Does Cleveland want him? “Yeah.” Pause. Chuckle. “I hope so.”
Here’s the edited version on the ESPN website:
Here’s the live version: