1. Florida State
– The Seminoles in 1999 (also the last time they were the preseason No. 1) and USC in 2004 are the only teams to be ranked No. 1 wire-to-wire. Florida State has been ranked No. 1 in the preseason five times, ending the year at No. 1 twice.
– The Crimson Tide has been preseason No. 1 or No. 2 in five straight seasons.
– It’s the fourth straight season the Ducks have been ranked in the preseason top 5.
– The Sooners last were not in the preseason top 25 in 1999. They’ve been a preseason top 10 team in 12 of the last 14 seasons.
5. Ohio State
– As the AP points out, the Buckeyes have been in 26 straight preseason top 25s, the longest streak in the nation.
– The Tigers are ranked in the preseason top 10 for the first time since 2006.
– It’s the first time the Bruins are a preseason top 10 team since 1998, which also was the last time they finished the season as a top 10 team.
8. Michigan State
– The Spartans are in the preseason top 10 for the first time since 1967.
9. South Carolina
– The Gamecocks are in the preseason top 10 for the third straight season and in the preseason top 25 for the fourth straight season. Both are the program’s longest such streaks.
– The Bears last were ranked in the preseason in 1986, and last were ranked in the top 10 in 1957.
– The Cardinal are ranked in the preseason for the fourth straight year, matching 1969-72 as the program’s longest such streak.
– Under Mark Richt, the Bulldogs have been ranked in every preseason poll except in Richt’s first season (2001).
– Les Miles’s Tigers teams have been ranked in the preseason top 25 in every year of his tenure.
– The Badgers have been ranked in the preseason top 25 in 17 of the past 21 years. Before 1994, they hadn’t been a preseason top 25 team since 1963.
– Since 1963, the Trojans have been ranked in the top 25 in all but six preseason polls.
– The Tigers are ranked in the preseason top 25 for the third straight season.
17. Notre Dame
– The Fighting Irish have been ranked in the preseason top 10 just once since 1997.
18. Ole Miss
– It’s just the third time the Rebels are a preseason top 25 team since 1973.
19. Arizona State
– Its the Sun Devils’ first preseason ranking since 2008.
20. Kansas State
– From 1996 to 2004, the Wildcats were ranked in the preseason top 25 eight times. Outside of that stretch, they’ve been ranked just three times
21. Texas A&M
– The last time the Aggies finished the season higher than their preseason ranking was 1998, when they were ranked 14th to start the season and finished 11th. They did finish 19th in 2010 after starting the season unranked, however.
– The Cornhuskers are ranked in the preseason top 25 for eighth time in the past nine years.
23. North Carolina
– The Tar Heels are ranked in the preseason top 25 for just the third time in the last 16 seasons.
– The Tigers have both started and finished the season in the top 25 just twice (1969 and 2008).
– The Huskies are in the preseason top 25 for the first time since 2003.