Customs and Border Protection presents plan to eliminate sequester furloughs

(Eric Gay/AP) (Eric Gay/AP)

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has submitted a plan to Congress that would eliminate sequester furloughs for the agency despite the $600 million in cuts it will have to make under the automatic spending reductions.

The cuts would still include a hiring freeze for non-frontline personnel, a hold on monetary awards and limited overtime reductions, according to an internal memo Friday from CBP deputy commissioner Thomas S. Winkowski.

“While these reductions are not without significance and will continue to impact our mission, they are preferable to the personal hardships and operational impact of incurring furloughs at this point in the fiscal year,” Winkowski said.

The National Treasury Employees Union, which represents many CBP personnel, applauded the plan and urged Congress to end the sequester, which took effect in March.

“This is a positive development for CBP employees and one that NTEU worked with CBP to attain,” said Colleen M. Kelley, president of the union. “The work of frontline CBP employees is critically important to the security of our country and to our economic growth.”

For more federal news, visit The Federal Eye, The Fed Page and Post Politics. To connect with Josh Hicks, follow his Twitter feed, friend his Facebook page or e-mail josh.hicks@washpost.comE-mail federalworker@washpost.com with news tips and other suggestions.

Josh Hicks covers Maryland politics and government. He previously anchored the Post’s Federal Eye blog, focusing on federal accountability and workforce issues.

politics

federal-eye

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Politics

politics

federal-eye

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Next Story
Josh Hicks · May 20, 2013