The man accused of killing one Transportation Security Administration officer and wounding two others at Los Angeles International Airport this month is in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service after being released from a hospital, federal prosecutors said on Tuesday.
Authorities charged 23-year-old Paul Anthony Ciancia with murder and commission of violence at an international airport on Nov. 2, saying he killed TSA screener Gerardo Hernandez during a vicious shooting rampage before police shot him. The suspect survived the incident but was severely wounded, including in the head and leg.
Ciancia, a New Jersey native who last lived in Los Angeles, had been listed in critical condition at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, but he was upgraded to fair condition on Nov. 12.
In a brief statement on Tuesday, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said it would not release details about the suspect’s current location and that no court appearance had been scheduled yet.
Charging documents say Ciancia entered LAX’s Terminal 3 and pulled a Smith & Wesson .223-caliber assault rifle from his bag, firing at Hernandez multiple times from point-blank range and later returning to shoot the officer again after noticing he was moving.
Authorities have also said they found a note on the suspect that contained anti-government rantings, including saying he wanted to kill at least one TSA officer and “instill fear in your traitorous minds.”
Follow Josh Hicks on Twitter, Facebook or Google+. Connect by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit The Federal Eye, The Fed Page and Post Politics for more federal news. E-mail email@example.com with news tips and other suggestions.