I caught up with John Beck while working on Saturday’s story on the NFL lockout drawing to an end, and in case you missed it, the quarterback has no problem showing his excitement about the prospects of returning to work very shortly.
While some Redskins still are bracing for some last-minute breakdown or setback in talks — Beck is acting as if Redskins Park’s doors will open this week.
Last week, Beck and his wife packed up their home in San Diego, and on Thursday, along with their three boys, boarded a plane bound for Northern Virginia. After enduring a three-hour layover in Chicago, they finally reached Dulles around 3 a.m. Friday. The moving truck also arrived Friday, so Beck was busy unpacking most of the day.
He admitted he didn’t know the exact date the league will announce the end to the lockout, but he saw no point in waiting.
“I want to be able to meet with Kyle as soon as possible,” Beck said referring to offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.
Beck met with Shanahan for a couple of hours April 29 during the brief lifting of the lockout that ended up lasting less than a full day before the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals granted the stay to the ruling that the lockout was illegal.
Since then, Beck has tried his best to prepare and continue to learn the Redskins’ playbook. But he says it wasn’t an effective substitute for going over film and chalktalks with coaches.
“I can’t wait,” Beck said. “It has hurt us not having that.”
Beck is expected to compete for the starting quarterback job for the Redskins, who are expected to try to trade Donovan McNabb and also re-sign Rex Grossman. Mike Shanahan gave Beck a strong endorsement after the team passed on taking a quarterback in April’s NFL Draft.
Meantime, the fifth-year passer, who hasn’t taken a regular season snap since 2007 while with Miami, has prepared as if he’s Washington’s guy and helped organize group workouts with teammates this past summer.