PALM BEACH, Fla.—The NFL acknowledged Monday that the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys have challenged the salary cap reductions imposed on them earlier this month.
The league’s statement said no date has been set for a hearing before arbitrator Stephen Burbank.
The statement said “the clubs were advised of the status of the proceeding at today’s league meeting” and added that the league and the teams would “have no further comment at this time.”
The Redskins lost $36 million in salary cap space over two years while the Cowboys lost $10 million over the same time period. The league concluded that the teams structured player contracts in 2010, when the sport had no salary cap, to gain an unfair competitive advantage when the salary cap returned in subsequent seasons, people familiar with the case have said. The two teams have denied wrongdoing in the case.
The NFL Players Association agreed to the salary cap reductions. The union is named along with the league in the two teams’ arbitration bid.
Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and General Manager Bruce Allen declined to comment on the case earlier Monday. Cowboys executive Stephen Jones also declined to comment.
According to one person familiar with the situation, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen addressed representatives of the other 30 NFL teams during one of Monday’s meetings.
Jones and Allen argued that the actions taken by their teams were justified and violated no salary cap rules, the person said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the league’s decision not to comment on the issue.
Representatives of the other teams discussed the case without members of the Redskins and Cowboys delegations in the room, the person said.