Most Read: Sports

http://www.washingtonpost.com/2010/07/06/ABMK8PP_linkset.html
Posted at 07:07 PM ET, 09/03/2011

Redskins cut running backs Evan Royster, Shaun Draughn

Updated 7:07: Running backs Evan Royster and Shaun Draughn, WR Isaac Anderson and TE Derek Schouman have been released.

Updated 5:32: Rookie nose tackle Chris Neild has made the Washington Redskins’ 53-man roster, the West Virginia product told The Post. Meanwhile, the team has cut backup nose tackle Anthony Bryant, according to ESPN980.

Taken with the 253rd overall pick (the next to last pick) in April’s draft, Neild will serve as the Redskins’ backup to starting nose tackle Barry Cofield, and also is expected to contribute on special teams. The 6-foot-2, 319-pound Neild beat out Bryant, who was entering his fifth season in the NFL, and started three games last season for Washington. Bryant recorded eight tackles and was stout against the run. Neild making the team over Bryant probably counts as the biggest upset of the day as far as the Redskins’ roster construction goes.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said last week that the Redskins were confident in Cofield, knew what they had in Bryant, but needed to see more from Neild. So Haslett gave Neild the start Thursday night against Tampa Bay, and he played nearly the entire game. Neild recorded a sack and a tackle on the night.

The Redskins appear set to keep eight of their 12 draft picks on the roster. Outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan (first-round), receiver Leonard Hankerson (third round), running back Roy Helu (fourth), safety DeJon Gomes (fifth), receiver Niles Paul (fifth), cornerback Brandyn Thompson (sixth) and seventh-rounders Markus White (a linebacker) and Neild are known to have made the team already. Second-round pick Jarvis Jenkins would have made the team, but is on injured reserve with a torn ACL. There still is no word on sixth-round draft pick Evan Royster (running back out of Penn State). Early on Saturday the team cut sixth-round receiver Aldrick Robinson and seventh-round pick Maurice Hurt.

Also, quarterback Matt Gutierrez has been cut. He appeared for two series in Thursday’s preseason finale and threw an interception and finished with a passer rating of 16.3.

Updated 3:44: The Redskins have added third-round draft pick Leonard Hankerson to their 53-man roster. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Hankerson announced the news via twitter. “Jumped the 1st Hurdle, now it’s time to keep putting in lots of work everyday and keep getting better peeps.”

Hankerson had been plagued by drops this preseason, but coaches remained high on his potential. He finished the preseason with nine catches for 101 yards.

The additions of Hankerson and Niles Paul (see below) mean that the Redskins’ receiver corps includes Santana Moss, Jabar Gaffney, Anthony Armstrong, Terrence Austin, the two rookies and Brandon Banks. There has been no official word on whether veteran Donte Stallworth has made the team, but a CSN Washington report said that he had. That would mean the Redskins would have eight receivers, an unusually large number, on the roster.

Updated 3:29:The Washington Redskins are trying to trade backup guard/tackle Artis Hicks to the Cleveland Browns, according to the veteran lineman. If the teams can’t agree on a deal, he will be cut later Saturday evening, Hicks has been told.

Hicks, who started 10 games at right guard for Washington last season, had spent all of the preseason as a backup at that position.

Hicks lost his job to Will Montgomery last season. He suffered a groin injury and never returned to the starting lineup once he was healthy. When training camp opened, Hicks was working as the starting right guard, but Washington signed Chris Chester away from the Baltimore Ravens, and Chester immediately took over as starter once he reported to camp.

The 6-foot-4, 318-pound Hicks was the Redskins only veteran backup lineman other than tackle Sean Locklear. The team earlier on Saturday released rookie guard Maurice Hurt as well as second-year guard/tackle Selvish Capers. The only backup guard on the roster is center/guard Erik Cook, who spent the majority of last season on the practice squad.

Updated 3:22: The Redskins have officially added rookie wide receiver Niles Paul to their 53-man roster, a person familiar with the situation confirmed Saturday afternoon. Paul tweeted the news that he had made the team a short time later.

Drafted in the fifth round out of Nebraska, Paul had excelled on special teams and made solid contributions as a receiver this preseason. He averaged 32.5 yards a kick return, 9.8 yards a punt return and had four catches for 37 yards.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Paul started in the preseason finale Thursday and recorded three catches for 27 yards.

“Feels good to officially be a Redskin!,” Paul tweeted. “Gotta keep progressing as a player, far from over.”

Updated 3:04: Defensive lineman Doug Worthington was also released.

Updated 2:55: The Redskins have decided to release quarterback Kellen Clemens, according to a person familiar with the situation. The move likely means the team will start the regular season with just two quarterbacks, John Beck and Rex Grossman. Because the NFL has changed the rules that allow teams to designate an emergency third quarterback, many teams might decide it’s a wasted roster spot.

Washington will also part ways with linebacker Edgar Jones, according to Scout.com. That could be good news for rookie Markus White, who had a strong game Thursday and hopes to stick as the team’s ninth linebacker.

Updated 1:08: Keiland Williams, who has been trying to stick with the Redskins as a backup tailback and part-time fullback, is being released. Williams confirmed the move Saturday.

Williams played as the teams primary third-down back last season, but this year worked mainly at backup fullback. The addition of Tim Hightower, and Mike Sellers’ versatility as both a fullback and tight end put Williams in a difficult spot. He played 15 games last season so he is not eligible for the practice squad.

Updated: 12:36: The Redskins also appear ready to part ways with backup offensive linemen Selvish Capers and Donovan Raiola, according to various reports. That leaves the Redskins with four backup offensive linemen -- Sean Locklear, Erik Cook, Artis Hicks and Willie Smith -- which means one more cut is still possible.

The team also will release tight end Tony Curtis, according to reports..

Updated 11:47: The Redskins also cut Horatio Blades, Maurice Hurt, Clint Oldenburg, Anderson Russell and Davonte Shannon, according to people familiar with the situation.

11:11 a.m.: Cornerback Reggie Jones has been released, the player told The Post. He has been extended a practice squad invitation and plans to accept it unless he doesn’t clear waivers.

The Washington Redskins have released rookie receiver Aldrick Robinson, according to a person with knowledge of Rob inson’s situation, and apparently have cut veteran safety Chris Horton

Second year backup linebacker Thadeus Gibson also has been released, according to a person close to the player, as the team begins winnowing the roster from 80 to 53..

Robinson was taken in the sixth round of April’s draft after a prolific career at SMU. But he struggled this preseason with the Redskins, dropping two punt returns. He had trouble separating himself from defensive backs.

Horton, a backup strong safety, tweeted the news of his release this morning, saying “Thank you Redskins Nation for all that you have given me in my three years here. My time is up here.”

By and  |  07:07 PM ET, 09/03/2011

 
Read what others are saying
     

    © 2011 The Washington Post Company