Beating the rival Cowboys in a Week 17 matchup with the division title on the line is even more sweet.
Beating the rival Cowboys in a Week 17 matchup with the division title on the line while your rookie running back runs for 200 yards and three touchdowns, and their star quarterback throws three interceptions … well, it’s hard to settle on just one word for that.
Whether it was exhilarating, joyous, fulfilling or satisfying, it was clearly something special for the Redskins. A couple of players called it the most exciting moment of their lives. For fans, was it the most special win since Jan. 26, 1992?
Most of you old-timers should be familiar with that date on sight. But there are Redskins-die hards who weren’t even born that day almost 21 years ago.
Since then, the Redskins have won playoff games following the 1992, 1999 and 2005 seasons. And the run in 2007 after Sean Taylor was killed was something special. But can any of those compare to this? You tell me.
There will be time to be profound — ultimately, the way you remember this seven-game run will probably be affected by what they do in the playoffs. And there will be time later in the week to analyze how the Redskins match up with the Seahawks. But for the moment, bask in the glory, take in the moment, embrace the optimism — that feeling of the sky being the limit, this being the beginning of something special. This team might achieve something great, or it might not. Eleven other teams will play for the Super Bowl trophy, and a handful of them are pretty hot in their own rights. But no matter what happens, it’s a pretty good bet you’ll remember the Sunday night Washington beat Dallas to clinch the NFC East title.
More on the Redskins :
- Game summary: Redskins 28, Cowboys 18
- Boswell: Rookie Morris finds his calling
- The Takeaway: The turnaround is complete
- Morris carries Redskins with career night
- And the rookies shall lead them . . . to the playoffs
- Griffin isn’t quite himself, but he’s good enough
- Grade RGIII’s performance vs. the Cowboys
- For Cowboys, another frustrating finish
- Redskins’ blitz forces Romo into key mistakes
- Bog: Redskins-Cowboys best and worst
- Photos: Scenes from FedEx Field
- First-round postseason schedule
- Couch Slouch: The luck of Bill Belichick
- Bog: Redskins NFC East title gear for sale
- Redskins schedule and results